Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 11:08, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
>
> > Thomas Dodd wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still not sure why cheapbytes had to modify the set.
>
> Because the name "Red Hat Linux" is a trademark and Red Hat Linux says you
> cannot use it without their permission.
>
> > Me neither.  The ISOs are exactly the same, right?  They just aren't
> > call it "Red Hat Linux" or anything close to that.
>
> IMNAL but:
> I do not think they can distribute the copyrighted Red Hat logos without
> specific permission from Red Hat. AFAIK this includes things like bluecurve
> and anything with the shadowman logo on it.

<nitpick clarification>
It's my understanding that the Bluecurve artwork itself is GPL'd, so it
may be distributed. The *name* "Bluecurve" is trademarked, so the themes
need to be renamed. Although some work is needed to repackage the
icons/themes/etc. into a trademark free package, given that many of the
bluecurve icons are named "redhat-*.png". Such packages do already
exist, however, generally named either "Wonderland" or "Freecurve".
</nitpick clarification>

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>