Re: Changing reolustion without X

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:01:36AM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Ed Wilts wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 06:45:52PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:
> >>Perhaps if you told it an obvious wrong chip, it would fallback
> >>correrctly? What about using --set-driver=vesa ? Does it hang or does it
> >>use the vesa drive like you said to?
> >

> > If I explicitely tell it to use the vesa driver, it works properly.  If
> > I give it an obviously wrong one, startx fails with a Fatal server
> > error: no screens found.  This was with i810, s3 and trident. So, at
> > least the savage driver thinks it should be able to work.
>
> Why is startx in here? I was talking about rh-cfg-xf. That's where I saw
> the fallback to vesa. Does the XF86Config file created have the vesa
> driver in it?

It's there because you wanted to know if it would fallback if I told it
to use an obvious wrong chip.  When --set-driver is used, X doesn't
start (by default).  I thought that's what you wanted.  I can retest and
see if rh-cfg-xf can be told to start X anyway.

> I think there's an option to tell anaconda to use vesa instead of native
> XF86 drivers. There's always the text mode install.

The text mode install is how I got it installed in the first place.  I'm
assuming I'm still in the queue for Mike to look at.  Maybe after he
finishes backporting XF4.3 to RHL5.2 :-)

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx