Re: Changing reolustion without X

Ed Wilts wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:16:23AM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

Ossama Khayaat wrote:

Mike A. Harris wrote:

Actually, I think I'll try to give more details about what's happening:
* First of all, the PCs are Compaq Evo desktop PCs with an Intel 845 dispaly, and we have RH Linux 8.0 installed and running successfully or all the machines with no problems at all.

So is this a problem with RHL8 or RHL9?

Worked fine for me. If X is not running, it starts a new Xserver.
Using --reconfig probes everything to create a completely new config file.

And hence the problem.  If the X config is invalid, you can't change it
and the syntax of the command isn't properly documented.  If X doesn't
start up at all, a new XF86Config isn't generated (I've demonstrated

I just tried a few more things with RHL9.
--noui --reconfig : created a completely new config file, using the same probing that the installer used.

--set-resoultion=1600x1200 : added entries for 1600x1200 and below and changed nothing else. That won't work on my LCD though.

--set-resolution=1024x768 : deleted all the resolutions above 1024x768 and gave me a working XF86Config file again.

The options all work like the --help says the do. None of the above started X. I used startx to test the results afterwards.

this and even bugzilla'd it) if the user has to c-a-bs out of the
command.  All should be good if redhat-config-xfree86 probes everything
correctly, but if there are any issues at all, debugging them is a royal
pain in the arse.

Suggestions:
1.  XF86Config should be generated *first*, before X starts up, and kept
around if the user has to c-a-bs out.

just use the --noui option to stop it from starting X.

2.  redhat-config-xfree --help should document what the set-resolution
paramter accepts.  I'm not near an RHL9 system now, so I can't tell if
there is a man page for redhat-config-xfree86.

an example migh be nice, but it worked like I expected --set-resolution=XRESxYRES, just like in the XF86config file, with and without quotes.

Also, "rpm -ql redhat-config-xfree86" and a little looking will reveal that /usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/redhat-config-xfree86 calls
"python2.2 /usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/xconf.py" which isn't too hard to follow. In there I see that the temporary config file is created with mktemp, named xf86config, and theverbose option woulud tell you that. So if X starts, but doesn't work, instead of c-a-bs, try c-a-F1, c-z, and copy the temporary config file. Do be so quick to kill the Xserver, and use the VT switching capabilities.

Of course, I prefer to edit XF86Config myself using vi.

-Thomas