Re: Changing reolustion without X

Ed Wilts wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:36:32PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:
I just tried a few more things with RHL9.
--noui --reconfig : created a completely new config file, using the same probing that the installer used.

Only if the X session is successful.  If the probe tries and fails,
you're up a creek with only half a paddle.

Sound like something for bugzilla maybe. Not sure why X wouldn't startup though. I tried it on an old laptop, specifying the wrong chip/sync, and when that didn't work It switched to the vesa driver. But if I give the correct chip/sync it's fine. I don't see X, but it appears to be running somewhere.
Of course, I prefer to edit XF86Config myself using vi.
But what if you don't have XF86Config to begin with? Although there are
workarounds, it's a real chicken or the egg situation for some people.

"man XF86Config" for more about that file than anyone ever wants to know. There's also "XFree86 -configure", and XFree86 is supposed to come with a sample named XF86Config.eg.

-Thomas