Re: Changing reolustion without X

Ed Wilts wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 05:24:36PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:
Sound like something for bugzilla maybe. Not sure why X wouldn't startup though. I tried it on an old laptop, specifying the wrong chip/sync, and when that didn't work It switched to the vesa driver. But if I give the correct chip/sync it's fine. I don't see X, but it appears to be running somewhere.

I've already bugzilla'd it.  With my ProSavageDDR chipset, the savage
driver dies a quick and horrible death (X hang) whereas vesa works just
fine.

Interesting. The laptop has a CT65550 (I know, but it was free:) )
and I told rh-xfg-xf it was a r128. When the r128 didn't work, it switched to vesa on it's own.

Perhaps if you told it an obvious wrong chip, it would fallback correrctly? What about using --set-driver=vesa ? Does it hang or does it use the vesa drive like you said to?

Still, if if the savage driver hangs the system, it shouldn't use it.
I remember before a few chips that got vesa or some other generic driver because probing was unstable/locked up. Check with Mike Harris about the driver locking up.

rh-cfg-xf need a way to not use that driver on that chip. Perhaps the recent change in maintainer caused it to be missed? Did you test in the last beta cycle?

-Thomas