Re: Samba vs. direct CUPS for Windows clients?

I'm glad I CC:d you, the other never made it to the list.

Tim Waugh wrote:
On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 06:19:14PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

I can see the results in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, but cannot figure out
where thae data is stored for later. I looks like it migh be something
in /etc/alchemist but I cannot figure out what it's doing. There appear
to be no docs for alchemist either.

The data is stored by alchemist.  It is of course human readable, as
XML: zless /etc/alchemist/namespace/printer/local.adl. (Unfortunately
there is no DTD, but it is quite self-explanatory.)

Dooh!! It's compressed XML. Why didn't I think of that.

In order to allow for remote administration using the CUPS web
interface, the XML must be extended in a clearly defined way, and the
config tool needs to allow the user to modify it.  There is already a
bug in bugzilla for 'allow remote administration': feel free to put
suggestions for the UI there.

I wasn't thinking so much about about remote admin yet, just a workaround
for Davids issue. If the file that princonf uses can be edited, then changing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf isn't needed, and running redhat-config-printer doesn't destroy ones settings, and neither does the iniscript.

Got the bug# for remote admin handy?

-Thomas