Re: Samba vs. direct CUPS for Windows clients?

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 13:34, Miloslav Trmac wrote:

> The cups configuration allows access only from 127.0.0.1 ("localhost")
> by default.

Indeed. You need to add "Listen <A.B.C.D>" to the bottom of
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf, where "A.B.C.D" is the IP address of the interface
you want it to respond to requests on. If you want to also be able to
_administrate_ cups from this address, you need to allow that in the
"admin" location further up in the file.

But please note that using redhat-config-printer will wipe out any
manual changes to this file below the tag line in there. (You'll know it
when you see it.) Also note that the init script for cups calls this
same function, so you'll be rewriting the config on every restart of
cups. If you can run the -gui version of redhat-config-printer, there
are options for allowing access from over the network. However, if, like
me, you don't have X on your print server, then you only have the -tui
version, and that one doesn't understand those options, and you'll lose
your edits anyway.

I edited cupsd.conf to my liking, and removed redhat-config-printer
completely. The init script just checks for its presence; if it's not
there, it won't run the config and lose your edits. It wasn't doing
anything for me anyway.

However, I must emphasize that I was not just impressed, but TOTALLY
BLOWN AWAY that, on install, Anaconda not only recognized my printers
(an HP 5L and an HP 2000C), but also loaded working drivers for them. (I
didn't have to try 14 different drivers to get good output.) I just
needed to tweak the sharing of them on the network.

dk