Re: [psyche] Re: Red Hat 9

Joe Klemmer wrote:
On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 18:27, Guy Fraser wrote:

You must be talking about home users without any important data.

Many servers and workstations run until they can not be feasibly maintained, or there is a compelling reason to upgrade.

Well, since we are discussing RH's Personal/Professional product, it
goes without saying that we're not talking about systems that should be
running any of their Enterprise offerings. RH 9 is for desktop usage
and for development usage and for that standard web/file/app servers. These are the ones that are already used to and have been using the 4 to
6 month upgrade cycle. Systems like major database and critical
production servers haven't been running RH personal/professional anyway
(usually running Solaris or AIX or some such). Now that RH has an
Enterprise line you will see Linux moving into this area of the data
center. For small and medium size businesses there won't be much of a
change with the new breakout of the OS offerings.

I realize I am coming in a bit late, but would someone please expain *exactly why* RH should not be run on the enterprise?

There are folk in the local linux user group that assert that RH simply cannot be made secure.

I would really appreciate a little enlightenment on this.

Thanks!

Cheers--
Charles