Re: Solved ! Re: Very weird : X not loading just for one user !!!

On 18:31 15 Mar 2003, C?dric Chausson <cchausson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
| I have found the solution !!!!
| Actually it was due to a change in my .bashrc file.
| I had found the following line in my .bashrc file :
|
| #PS1='CEDRIC {\h \w} $ '
|
| I knew that this would change the subject line in the console and
| xterms and decided to give it a try. So I uncommented it out.
|
| When this line is uncommented, loading of the windowmanager is blocked.
| When it is uncommented, my Xclients file executes ok !!.
|
| I have no idea what is causing this exactly. But maybe this will help
| somebody in the future.

The RedHat /etc/bashrc, in a miracle of stupidity, checks the length of
$PS1 to decide if it's interactive. Really bad.
I would give good odds that it it this idiocy that is scuttling your startup
stuff.

I ranted on this at some length here:

    http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/answers/redhat-shell-script-rant.txt

if you care to have a read. That was for a RH7 box, but I don't think
they've learnt anything yet.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@xxxxxxxxxx    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Once again, I must endorse the alt.peeves suggested universal warning label:
                                    DANGER
                          THIS PRODUCT IS UNSUITABLE
                              FOR USE BY IDIOTS.
mathew <mathew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>