Re: problem upgrading to Mozilla 1.3

On Saturday 15 March 2003 06:58 pm, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2003 06:44 pm, Charles wrote:
> > James Jones wrote:
> > > I have Mozilla 1.3b, and found out today that Mozilla 1.3 is
> > > available for downloading.  I cheer to myself, ftp the RPMs over,
> > > and do the appropriate rpm -U... and get the message
> > >
> > > package mozilla-nspr-1.3b-0_xft (which is newer than
> > > mozilla-nspr-1.3-0_rh8_xft) is already installed
> > >
> > > followed by the same message, mutatis mutandis, for each of the
> > > other RPMs.
> > >
> > > This seems odd to me, since 1.3b dates from mid-February, and 1.3
> > > from two days ago.
> > >
> > > I expect I'll just rpm -e the 1.3b versions and then just rpm -i
> > > the new stuff, but I'm curious. Has anyone else run into this?
> > >
> > >     James Jones
> >
> > I did this:
> >
> > rpm -Uvh --force mozilla-*.rpm
> >
> > Of course, the javaplugin has stopped working, but I doubt that is
> > related.
>
> It is related. You need a java that has been compiled with gcc-3.2.
> See the release notes for the mozilla redhat packages:
> http://mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.3/index.html#compatible
>
> "If you are using the Red Hat 8.x RPMS and you have the Java plugin
> installed, you must have a version that is also compiled with GCC 3.2.
> There is a version available from the blackdown project. Make sure you
> download the GCC 3.2 version! A version with GCC 3.2 is also rumored to
> be available from Sun sometime soon."

Additional datapoint:
I have the Sun version installed via rpm.
rpm -q j2re
j2re-1.4.1-fcs

I was able to download the blackdown archive, unpack it, and copy the
plugin to /usr/java/j2re1.4.1/plugin/i386/ns610/javaplugin_oji.so

I then removed the old symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and created a
new one to the above file. Appears to work fine.

- --
- -Michael

- --