Re: System freeze / hang, ping responding, can connect but no service answers

On 23 Feb 2003 at 8:42, Steve Madonna wrote:

> I figured it probably wasn't a graphics problem as you said this
> machine is a "server". You might want to search google for other
> people having problems with your same motherboard. Have you tried that
> yet? It's worth a shot...

Been there, done that :-)) There are several messages with similar
problems but all with different backgrounds and other symptoms. Since
I have 2 servers running RedHat (one with latest 7.3, one latest
8.0), both Maxtor-harddisks and nothing more in common I doubt it's a
motherboard-problem. All fans etc. are okay because the secons server
is brandnew. I guess it must have something to do with system
(eventhough the kernel is "stable") and MAYBE the harddisks.

> Turning off UDMA is a good idea. If you suspect hard-disk probs.

I lowered UDMA-settings (udma5 -> udma4) and turned off 32-bit-
transfers. In my opinion it would be a bad idea to switch directly
down to pio-mode or similar because this would have a big impact on
the system. But maybe a lower udma works (worked for some people on
the internet with somehow similar problems).

> What about NIS or NFS? Are you running either of those? I've got
> dailiy problems of NFS mounts going stale... if logins or shell
> commands are authenticated via NIS or actually run from a different
> system mounted via NFS systems will effectively hang. Usually it's AMD
> (the automount daemon) causing the problem. All I can do when this
> happens is telnet in as root (not very secure, I know) and reboot the
> machine. (That works because root is a local account... doesn't rely
> on NIS or the automounter).

No network filesystems in use currently. But it's again one thing
that should NEVER happen and shouldn't be able to hang the system :-
((