Re: System freeze / hang, ping responding,can connect but no service answers

** Reply to message from Steve Madonna <steve.madonna@verizon.net> on Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:42:15 -0800

> I figured it probably wasn't a graphics problem as you said this machine is a
> "server". You might want to search google for other people having problems
> with your same motherboard. Have you tried that yet? It's worth a shot...
>
> Turning off UDMA is a good idea. If you suspect hard-disk probs
>
> What about NIS or NFS? Are you running either of those? I've got dailiy
> problems of NFS mounts going stale... if logins or shell commands are
> authenticated via NIS or actually run from a different system mounted via NFS
> systems will effectively hang. Usually it's AMD (the automount daemon)
> causing the problem. All I can do when this happens is telnet in as root (not
> very secure, I know) and reboot the machine. (That works because root is a
> local account... doesn't rely on NIS or the automounter).

In my case, the freezes had nothing to do with NFS or automount since those services were not running. As with Stefan, I could ping the box but trying to ssh in would not even give a prompt back. Only resort was to hit the reset switch. A bad interaction with kernel code and Maxtor UDMA is starting to bubble to the top, methinks. I would be a good watchdog for this one given my array of Maxtor disks:

# cat /proc/ide/hda/model
FUJITSU MPC3043AT
# cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
Maxtor 5T030H3