Re: System freeze / hang, ping responding, can connect but no service answers

On 23 Feb 2003 at 2:35, Steve Madonna wrote:

> I've used maxtor disks for a long time with no problems at all... What
> happens on a "hang"? Is it the graphics? (meaning... what hangs? since
> you can still connect to a pop3 port, I'm assuming it's not the
> network) We get systems that hang all the time for video driver
> problems... RH 7.2 + nVidia drivers.

Since it's a server I don't run or even have a graphical surface
installed. Hang means: Console (Textmode) doesn't respond anymore,
can ping to machine okay, can connect to services but don't get a
respond. Some people said it might be a problem with the harrdisk-
layer. Assuming this would for sure make clear why the running kernel
can work properly but neither can a service spawn new children (ssh,
ftp, ...) nor could syslog write to disk (and maybe cause everything
to stop) nor could the swap-space be accessed.

I don't know what to believe ... I just know I have to do something
to find out the cause. Waking up at night because of a bad dream that
the server might be locked up again can't be okay :-(

I'm running latest stable RedHat-kernel as well - so I assume there
are no problems with the ide-drivers from RedHat ... otherwise I
guess they would have released a fix-pack.

Does anybody know about problems with harddisks?

But remember: It's not said that it ARE the harddisks / the ide-
layer. Might be something else. So I guess we need to keep open-
minded.

Yours sincerely,
 Stefan