Re: System freeze / hang, ping responding, can connect but no service answers

I figured it probably wasn't a graphics problem as you said this machine is a
"server". You might want to search google for other people having problems
with your same motherboard. Have you tried that yet? It's worth a shot...

Turning off UDMA is a good idea. If you suspect hard-disk probs

What about NIS or NFS? Are you running either of those? I've got dailiy
problems of NFS mounts going stale... if logins or shell commands are
authenticated via NIS or actually run from a different system mounted via NFS
systems will effectively hang. Usually it's AMD (the automount daemon)
causing the problem. All I can do when this happens is telnet in as root (not
very secure, I know) and reboot the machine. (That works because root is a
local account... doesn't rely on NIS or the automounter).