Re: browsing mount points within automount maps

--On Tuesday, December 10, 2002 08:21:55 AM -0600 Tom Georgoulias <tom.georgoulias@motorola.com> wrote:

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 16:40 09 Dec 2002, Tom Georgoulias <tom.georgoulias@motorola.com>
wrote:
| Is there any way to do enable the ability to browse the mount points
| within an automount map, without having to cd into one of them?

The autofs system doesn't supply this. Neither do some of the amd
systems.
Browseability is available on Solaris autofs.  It doesn't create mount
storms either.  This feature may/may not show up in the v5 release:

hehe... if you use Star Office 6.0 or Nautilus it does :)

ponter:tomg$ more /usr/share/doc/autofs-3.1.7/TODO
<snip>
autofs v5 TODO list
-------------------
<snip>
* (Hopefully) some kind of inode spoofing to support browsable
   directories.

Generally I have found that it is better to ask yourself _exactly_ why
you want this facility (yes I know it'd be "nice"); there is usually a
better or at least alternative way to get the information you want.
"Tom, why do you want this?"

"Since it is the right way to deal with the problem at hand, I'd like the
ability to browse directories mounted by automount."

Seriously, this feature is relied upon by my users and I'd like to set up
my RHL system to behave in as similar a fashion as my other unix systems
do.  They've already complained quite a bit about it and I wanted to try
and make it easier on them.

Tom

Tommy McNeely         --        Tommy.McNeely@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems - IT Ops - Broomfield Campus Support
Phone:  x50888 / 303-464-4888  --  Fax:  720-566-3168