browsing mount points within automount maps

Is there any way to do enable the ability to browse the mount points within an automount map, without having to cd into one of them? The behavior demonstrated below isn't present in the newer releases of Solaris, but I'm not sure how/if I can eliminate it on RHL.

--
ponter:home$ cd /soc
ponter:soc$ ls
analog blocks projects tester tmp users
ponter:soc$ cd blocks
ponter:blocks$ ls
ponter:blocks$ df .
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
automount(pid1203) 0 0 0 - /soc/blocks
ponter:blocks$ cd reindeer
ponter:reindeer$ ls
cfm
tmp
ponter:reindeer$ cd /soc/blocks
ponter:blocks$ ls
reindeer
ponter:blocks$
--

Many thanks for any pointers to get around this.

Tom