Re: browsing mount points within automount maps

On 16:40 09 Dec 2002, Tom Georgoulias <tom.georgoulias@motorola.com> wrote:
| Is there any way to do enable the ability to browse the mount points
| within an automount map, without having to cd into one of them?  The
| behavior demonstrated below isn't present in the newer releases of
| Solaris, but I'm not sure how/if I can eliminate it on RHL.

The autofs system doesn't supply this. Neither do some of the amd systems.
There are two core reasons for this:

    - if you could browse them, then an accidental
	echo /automountpoint/*
      would for a mount of _everything_, for no purpose, at significant
      time penalty (and enormous penalty if something is down)

    - you can't do it at all for maps with wildcards

Generally I have found that it is better to ask yourself _exactly_ why
you want this facility (yes I know it'd be "nice"); there is usually a
better or at least alternative way to get the information you want.

For example, in automounts I _want_ browsable, I tend to maintain a _real_
directory populated with symlinks to names in the automount directory. I
did this for the CD jukebox I built here a couple of months back. For
most things you can write a trivial shell script to keep a forest of
symlinks up to date, and that generally is enough.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

- Rich Kulawiec
Any sufficiently advanced feature is indistinguishable from a bug.
- Greg Alexander's corollary <galexand@indiana.edu>