Re: browsing mount points within automount maps

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Tom Georgoulias wrote:

> Is there any way to do enable the ability to browse the mount points
> within an automount map, without having to cd into one of them?  The
> behavior demonstrated below isn't present in the newer releases of
> Solaris, but I'm not sure how/if I can eliminate it on RHL.
>
> --
> ponter:home$ cd /soc
> ponter:soc$ ls
> analog  blocks  projects  tester  tmp  users
> ponter:soc$ cd blocks
> ponter:blocks$ ls
> ponter:blocks$ df .
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> automount(pid1203)           0         0         0   -  /soc/blocks
> ponter:blocks$ cd reindeer
> ponter:reindeer$ ls
> cfm
> tmp
> ponter:reindeer$ cd /soc/blocks
> ponter:blocks$ ls
> reindeer

You might want to look at amd, instead of, or as well as, autofs.

I use both here: 'autofs' for managing my workstation group (ie, /home and
other goodies like /usr/local, /scratch and /opt/local), and 'amd' for
browsing on general mount points of nfs-served file systems in the school.
Even though 'amd' can therefore be used to browse about in the local
workstation group as well, no one here really seems to find it useful,
since you need to know the name of the server doing the serving.

--
denice.deatrich @ epfl.ch, DSC / LTHC-LTHI, E.P.F.L.   PH: +41 (21) 693 76 67
<*> This moment's fortune cookie: