Re: System locks hard when using scsi tape drive

Mark,

I'll assume you've run through the rest of the hardware check list:
cables, termination (low and high), term power, etc.

I just ran a Google search on AIC-7861. Learned it's the same chip as
used on the Adaptec 2940AU. I saw more than one trouble report from
systems very similar to yours:  K6, ATI, AIC-7861...

Just a hunch... Do you have a non-ATI video card you can try? If the
system lockups go away, that would be strong evidence you have a
resource conflict.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL