System locks hard when using scsi tape drive

Hi,

I've got a major problem, using RedHat 8.0 and a scsi tape drive with a
system of mine, the system specs are:

ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+
Adaptec AIC-7861 scsi card
HP Surestore 24i tapedrive
ALi M1541 chipset (info got from /proc)
AMD K62-500 CPU
250 MB Ram

I have tried mem test on all the memory and they checkout fine, but when
I go to use amanda and my tape drive, the pc completely locks and there
is loads of output on the console (the time limit, when the machine
locks varies, but it only happens when I backup using the tape drive)

(this I haven't managed to capture yet, as it would help debugging
purposes.)

The machine was updated last night to the latest updates via up2date, I
have tried the system on both all the kernels from RedHat and still the
same.
I've reset up the bios and moved the pci cards around, but I still get
the same lockups and output to the screen.

Can anyone offer any advise on the best way to debug this.

btw: I have had the tape drive & scsi card in another machine (except
different mainboard,memory and cpu) and it works perfectly.

Cheers

Mark

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.