Re: upgrading a PowerEdge 2400 to RH 8.0

Eric Wood wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Loffhagen" <neil@c-w-services.co.uk>

With Linux I was getting
the impression, but this may be wrong, that if a Server is running fine,
then there is not so much point in upgrading from one version to
another, just need to make sure all the relevant updates are installed?

Well, I'll be gaining ext3 journalling, better printer subsystem support,
etc. So, upgrading a server is sometimes warranted.

Or does it also reach a point when updates for an older version of, for
example, Redhat will stop being released?

RH only issues security updates to 7.x. Don't know when they'll stop. I
support when 9.x come out. Dunno

Actually they still support 6.2 to some degree. They just put out an update to wget for 6.2.https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh62-errata.html