Re: Mount Rainier CD-RW support + 2.4.18-14 kernel

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 16:03, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Hi Eric:  I don't know what UDF is (I'm a Newbie), but "Mount Rainier"
> is a new Phillips technology, that permits writing to a CD-RW drive
> equipped with this technology, directly from the OS, without needing any
> software programs.  So, if I understand this, one can write to CD-R (?)
> and/or CD-RW media, directly, like a floppy disk.
>
> This is something not available in MS Windows (apparently it will be in
> the next versions of Windows), but it *is* available in Linux, today. :-)

Thats what UDF is.  I do believe that Easy CD Creator uses some tool to allow
the OS to write/read directly from the cd-rw disk like it was a large floppy,
and it uses the UDF file system.  Perhaps this Phillips technology will be
better, if it is abstracted from the software level, and into the OS level,
or drive level itself.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: