Re: Mount Rainier CD-RW support + 2.4.18-14 kernel

>Message: 10
>From: "Eric Wood" <eric@interplas.com>
>To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Mount Rainier CD-RW support + 2.4.18-14 kernel
>Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:50:59 -0500

>Is UDF and Mount Rainier competing formats to do the same thing?

Hi Eric: I don't know what UDF is (I'm a Newbie), but "Mount Rainier" is a new Phillips technology, that permits writing to a CD-RW drive equipped with this technology, directly from the OS, without needing any software programs. So, if I understand this, one can write to CD-R (?) and/or CD-RW media, directly, like a floppy disk.

This is something not available in MS Windows (apparently it will be in the next versions of Windows), but it *is* available in Linux, today. :-)

Sounds like a great technology and something I want to try. My wife will be the first on our block (our "neighbors" across the street are cows) to have Mount Rainier technology in her PC.

Happy Holidays! Lanny