Re: Dist. Suggestions From: Joe Klemmer

>> You will see its not RH I am disapointed in, or 8.0.
>> I had made a suggestion for RH to include some software
>> on a seperated CD from the main distro, software in my eyes
>> will make the RH distro much better.
>>
>> The software I asked for consideration was,
>> Novell NDS
>
> No idea if that is open source.
No its not

>> JAVA
>
> There *is* a licensing problem with Sun Java. Red Hat is not allowed to
> distribute it (unless they pay a rather high fee). So they don't
> distribute it. I understand that, I wouldn't myself.
>
>> TOMCAT
>
> That is freely distributable (it's from the Apache Software Foundation),
> but doesn't make much sense without Java...

Your right thats why I asked for JAVA, I would think there has
to be some deal that could be worked where the license cost would
be dropped. (Just it my head though :))

>> and some more wireless NIC drivers specifically prism2_cs and the
>> prism2 driver which are under the MPL and by the most strict
>> interpretation of the GPL, you can not distribute software that is
>> NON-GPL on the same media as GPL software.
>> This is why I suggested a seperate OPTIONAL CD.
>
> Red Hat Linux once had such a CD, it was called PowerTools. I think the
> last version that came with the PowerTools CD was 7.1. I don't know why
> it was dropped (maybe too expensive), but I doubt they will revert that
> decision. :-( The PowerTools were quite nice...

I seem to remember it, I never got to check it out. So sad.
Maybe that is the exact reason, maybe no one was clear on what
power tools really was.

>> The above comments that I made were in response to a post that
>> I feel was un-called for by a RH employee comparing my post to a root
>> canal.
>
> I think that was a misunderstanding. You always talked about "binary
> modules". This isn't a frequently used term for "precompiled software"
> (or RPMs), but sounds very much like "binary only modules". Hence Mike's
> misunderstanding, I fell for it as well and ignored that thread. You
> never cleared the misunderstanding until after Mike left, instead you
> behaved much like those who want Red Hat to ship binary only software
> like the nvidia driver.

Sorry that was not the intent, nor was it the intent to have Mike leave.

Maybe the should have power tools as a BUY online only thing
where people would have to PAY for the software that comes on it
since this seems to be part of the issue.
I seem to remember the reason I never used it is because it came only
w/ the professional and I was never very sure of the benefits provided
to me in the PRO version.

Maybe this software is just better offered completely seperate from
any dist. (what I mean by that is the above, have RH sell it but not
in a box)