Re: Dist. Suggestions From: Joe Klemmer

David Durst wrote:

> This thread is a bit dead, but I will respond anyways.

Is there no end to it? ;-))) Just a joke!

> You will see its not RH I am disapointed in, or 8.0.
> I had made a suggestion for RH to include some software
> on a seperated CD from the main distro, software in my eyes
> will make the RH distro much better.
>
> The software I asked for consideration was,
> Novell NDS

No idea if that is open source.

> JAVA

There *is* a licensing problem with Sun Java. Red Hat is not allowed to
distribute it (unless they pay a rather high fee). So they don't
distribute it. I understand that, I wouldn't myself.

> TOMCAT

That is freely distributable (it's from the Apache Software Foundation),
but doesn't make much sense without Java...

> and some more wireless NIC drivers specifically prism2_cs and the
> prism2 driver which are under the MPL and by the most strict
> interpretation of the GPL, you can not distribute software that is
> NON-GPL on the same media as GPL software.
> This is why I suggested a seperate OPTIONAL CD.

Red Hat Linux once had such a CD, it was called PowerTools. I think the
last version that came with the PowerTools CD was 7.1. I don't know why
it was dropped (maybe too expensive), but I doubt they will revert that
decision. :-( The PowerTools were quite nice...

> The above comments that I made were in response to a post that
> I feel was un-called for by a RH employee comparing my post to a
> root canal.

I think that was a misunderstanding. You always talked about "binary
modules". This isn't a frequently used term for "precompiled software"
(or RPMs), but sounds very much like "binary only modules". Hence Mike's
misunderstanding, I fell for it as well and ignored that thread. You
never cleared the misunderstanding until after Mike left, instead you
behaved much like those who want Red Hat to ship binary only software
like the nvidia driver.
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Moeh for Kanzler! ;-) http://www.yes-moeh.de/index/
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/yindex.cgi