Re: Dist. Suggestions

> On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 02:39, David Durst wrote:
>> > If there's a chance that it's gonna do a bit of good, I would
>> suggest that you send a private email to Mike Harris and apologize
>> for offending him.
>> >
>> > Craig
>> Please refer to the ORINGAL postins and side threat about MISTATING
>> THE PROBLEM.
>>
>> I made my point calmly, I will not apologize to Mike. He made it
>> personal in his first & second posting back to me.
>>
>> The reason the Mike & Others are so admit about not putting something
>> in the distro is because they never bothered to look into what I was
>> asking for in the first place.
>>
>> They assumed something about what I was asking, and they keep holding
>> to this assumption (NOTE this has been mostly MIKE).  After he made it
>> personal and continued to go by his assumption I was finally irritated
>> enough to insult him.
>>
>> NOTE - IF YOU FEEL LIKE POSTING SOMETHING BACK TO THIS PLEASE READ THE
>> ORIGINAL THREAD!!!!!
>>

> Hi all,
>
> Debate and opinion is good here. However, you crossed the line to being
> demanding it's seems to me and the caps shouting doesn't help. If you
> have a problem or issue that can't be fixed here, Red Hat has a very
> good tech support services, which are available for little cost. They
> can help you on very specific area's and possibly inform you on company
> policy on why things are or are not part of the distro, especially
> binary modules ... whatever.
>
> Red Hat do things right and sometimes do things wrong - Nobody is
> perfect. However, I see Red Hat do it their way (as all distro's do) for
> the overall majority of customers and I think that approach is working.
> Yes 8.0 is querky, what .0 isn't, but look deeper and you can see work
> Red Hat is doing that other distro's aren't. Improvement to X config I
> refer to the new 'Display settings' on the desktop (thanks Mike :)),
> saving alot of hassle for most. The included updates to the GNU
> shellutils, which are actaully not released, but allow those of us with
> Athlon systems to use 'uname -p' and get a correct 'Athlon' result, not
> the result 'unknown' which you will get with most distro's including
> Mandrake 9.
>
> We all see problems with 8.0 for example:
>
> 1. No errata yet to get memprof to allow file selection.
> 2. No Gnome menu editing. This one Havoc nicely clarified on this list
>    with explanation of how to manually edit menu's for the time being.
> Though knowing if the needed changes will be ready for 8.1 would be
> nice, but it maybe too soon for Havoc to give a yes or no answer?
> 3. Why when you use the tree in Nautilus. When you access a folder in
>    in the main window. Why isn't it also being moved to that folder in
> the tree? This one is a Gnome problem generally i.e. not Red Hat
> specific.
> 4. Some UTF font problems with apps like xchat. This needs to be
> [...]

Thank you for actually be intellegent.
Yes I do agree that I like RHs work, I had made a suggestion to include
some softwares that are not neccesarly OSS.  The first 2 responses I got
were intellegent like this and brought light to some of the problems
which started a different thread in which I restated the problem.
Then I kept getting flames from the people I have been going at it with
since.  As far as I was concerned the issue was settled as of friday,
then these guys kept coming back w/ these arguements that were unfounded
about how closed source software was the devil and all othe sort of things
that were not applicable, and I got pissed off that they didn't bother
to do their homework before spouting off.

But yes I do agree with you that RH has done a good job, but if memory
serves me correctly if it were not for alot of people requesting the
changes
that RH made it wouldn't have happened.

I remember the problems that RH fix in 8.0 were mentioned and complained
about in 6.2 so complaining has to start somewhere and sometime.

For all that will bother to read this post, it has not always been RHs
policy to not distribute closed source software - Remember staroffice and
the cold fusion demo.