Re: Dist. Suggestions

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, David Durst wrote:

>Ok, maybe OpenLDAP does come w/ it. My mistake - but when you click
>to do a FULL INSTALL it doesn't.

A full install does not install every single RPM package.  There
is a reason for that.

>And great RH doesn't support Binary Modules - you can get a
>source version compile it on your own and then send it out as a
>binary.

If the source were available, then it WOULD NOT BE BINARY ONLY
now would it?  Binary only modules, by definition, are modules to
which the source code is NOT AVAILABLE.

>Or maybe I am getting it wrong here, lemme look at it the other
>way. You don't want to support the project of a module? If so
>then why dist software at all?

Red Hat got where it is today by following a set of principles
and values that have made it one of the largest and most used
Linux distributions.  Why distribute it all?  Simple, because it
is popular, and gaining more popularity daily - without including
binary only modules.

Feel free to select a different distribution that does ship
binary only modules - you do have that choice.

>It just a piece of software that POSSIBLE could be borken when
>you ship it but that should be no concern of yours considering
>XMMS & Postgres :)

We can fix xmms and postgresql.  Nice try.  Invalid point.

>Just ship the damn module so RH 8.1 or whatever can support
>about 75% of the wireless NICS on the market.

Absolutely and completely totally _NO_.  Switch to another
distribution that ships it if you must.

>This discussion reminds me of the pre Donald Becker days and
>dealing w/ regular NIC cards.

This discussion reminds me of getting a root canal, and I've
never gotten one.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer