Re: Dist. Suggestions

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 02:39, David Durst wrote:
> > If there's a chance that it's gonna do a bit of good, I would suggest
> > that you send a private email to Mike Harris and apologize for offending
> > him.
> >
> > Craig
> Please refer to the ORINGAL postins and side threat about MISTATING THE
> PROBLEM.
>
> I made my point calmly, I will not apologize to Mike. He made it personal
> in his first & second posting back to me.
>
> The reason the Mike & Others are so admit about not putting something in
> the distro is because they never bothered to look into what I was asking
> for in the first place.
>
> They assumed something about what I was asking, and they keep holding to
> this assumption (NOTE this has been mostly MIKE).  After he made it personal
> and continued to go by his assumption I was finally irritated enough to
> insult him.
>
> NOTE - IF YOU FEEL LIKE POSTING SOMETHING BACK TO THIS PLEASE READ THE
> ORIGINAL THREAD!!!!!

Hi all,

Debate and opinion is good here. However, you crossed the line to being
demanding it's seems to me and the caps shouting doesn't help. If you
have a problem or issue that can't be fixed here, Red Hat has a very
good tech support services, which are available for little cost. They
can help you on very specific area's and possibly inform you on company
policy on why things are or are not part of the distro, especially
binary modules ... whatever.

Red Hat do things right and sometimes do things wrong - Nobody is
perfect. However, I see Red Hat do it their way (as all distro's do) for
the overall majority of customers and I think that approach is working.
Yes 8.0 is querky, what .0 isn't, but look deeper and you can see work
Red Hat is doing that other distro's aren't. Improvement to X config I
refer to the new 'Display settings' on the desktop (thanks Mike :)),
saving alot of hassle for most. The included updates to the GNU
shellutils, which are actaully not released, but allow those of us with
Athlon systems to use 'uname -p' and get a correct 'Athlon' result, not
the result 'unknown' which you will get with most distro's including
Mandrake 9.

We all see problems with 8.0 for example:

1. No errata yet to get memprof to allow file selection.
2. No Gnome menu editing. This one Havoc nicely clarified on this list
   with explanation of how to manually edit menu's for the time being.
   Though knowing if the needed changes will be ready for 8.1 would be
   nice, but it maybe too soon for Havoc to give a yes or no answer?
3. Why when you use the tree in Nautilus. When you access a folder in
   in the main window. Why isn't it also being moved to that folder in
   the tree? This one is a Gnome problem generally i.e. not Red Hat
   specific.
4. Some UTF font problems with apps like xchat. This needs to be
   addressed by the xchat people.

I see no reason to get all bent out of shape about these. Well if they
are still in 8.1 - maybe that is the time to? :)

Be nice and stay calm!

Regards

Philip Wyett

--