Re: Problem with kernel ugrade & nVidia drivers

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 10:09, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2002 06:22:20 -0500
> lovswr1 <lovswr1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> # Ohhh!  It is kerner-<version>.src.rpm.  That is the file I downloaded
> # from nvidia & that is the file the worked on -17-18.8.0, so I figured
> # that it should work on -18-18.8.0.  Where do I get the .i386 version?
>
> ok, ok, don't get confused.  I wasn't talking about Nvidia rpms here.
>
> You need the kernel-source-<version>.i386.rpm from Red Hat.  This
> contains the pre-patched kernel source to match your running kernel.  A
> simple (up2date kernel-source)  should do, or if you haven't configured
> up2date to not skip kernels, (up2date -f kernel-source).
Oh that.Well as this thread is several replies lon now, I guess this
bears repeating.  This all started when I downloaded the -18-18.8.0
kernel & its source via up2date.  I have since de-installed the source &
re-installed it two times, to no avail.  Now since I know that I can
ignore that "buildmeister" message that I get at the beginning, I just
went ahead & did it (I have changed the 'nvidia' back to 'nv' in the X
config file so I am typing this on the -18-18.8.0 kernel.  Well now, I'm
in dependency hell.  It tells me that it can't install the rebuilt
nvidia kernel (-18-18.8.0) because it's already installed.  Of course I
can't rpm-e the so called installed nvidia kernel , because rpm says
it's NOT isntalled.

--
lovswr1 <lovswr1@earthlink.net>