Re: Problem with kernel ugrade & nVidia drivers

Iain Buchanan wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 04:10, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> > Jesse Keating wrote:
> > >
> > > On 19 Nov 2002 07:14:13 -0500
> > > nbecker@hns.com (Neal D. Becker) wrote:
> > >
> > > #
> > > # Which is, BTW, stupid.
> > >
> > > Hey, don't look at me (;    Bitch at Nvidia for poorly written install
> > > scripts.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on where the scripts need improvement?
> They should produce loadable modules in /lib/modules/kernel-version (or
> somewhere) so that I can have different ones compiled for different
> kernels that I may be running, and not have to re-compile them every
> time I boot a different kernel.

Err.  "They" do.

$ locate NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-5/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-17.7.x/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.7.x/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver

So any kernel I boot has the NVdriver available.

Which, I suppose, begs the question:  "Is it my responsibility to build
modules for my system, or Red Hat's, or Nvidia's?"

No one can anticipate what kernel I'll be using tomorrow.  Should I decide to
roll my own, to whom should I look to provide me with a driver?

> Maybe they produce modules already in
> some place I haven't discovered...  Also, they could prompt for the
> kernel source to compile with, so that I could compile a new version in
> anticipation of booting another kernel.  (Instead of booting it, having
> to stop X from retrying, rebuilding, and then restarting X...)

This is addressed and available if you use the source from NVidia, and as I
stated earlier in this thread, I would consider it a shortcoming of rpm if you
cannot rebuild an rpm against a different kernel source.

Also, I believe booting to level 5 should be discouraged.  But that borders on
religion and should probably be ignored :-)

Rinaldi
--
By all means marry. If you get a good wife you will become happy,
and if you get a bad one you will become a philosopher. --Socrates