Re: Problem with kernel ugrade & nVidia drivers

On 21 Nov 2002 06:22:20 -0500
lovswr1 <lovswr1@earthlink.net> wrote:

# Ohhh!  It is kerner-<version>.src.rpm.  That is the file I downloaded
# from nvidia & that is the file the worked on -17-18.8.0, so I figured
# that it should work on -18-18.8.0.  Where do I get the .i386 version?

ok, ok, don't get confused.  I wasn't talking about Nvidia rpms here.

You need the kernel-source-<version>.i386.rpm from Red Hat.  This
contains the pre-patched kernel source to match your running kernel.  A
simple (up2date kernel-source)  should do, or if you haven't configured
up2date to not skip kernels, (up2date -f kernel-source).

Once you have that, then you need the kernel.src.rpm from Nvidia.  This
is horribly mis-named, as it's not a kernel, rather it's a kernel
module.  This causes confusion to no end, especially when people ask you
if you installed the kernel-source.  People think that we are asking
about the Nvidia rpm. (case in point).  Next you should rebuild the GLX
srpm (although not really necessary, but I do both at the same time),
install them both, adjust your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, and start X per
your usual way.

--
Jesse Keating
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: