Re: Samba server and Win98 connection problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Liu" <satimis@writeme.com>
To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Samba server and Win98 connection problem

> Samba server still appeared as "localhost"  Reboot Win98 could not solve
> the problem

First off, for those that were wondering why hosts/lmhosts files were being
discussed, was because he said it was slow to get to samba shares, or
something to that affect.  So I thought maybe part of it was a DNS issue, as
his networked machines weren't finding the others fast enough.  So I was
trying to help to make sure windows machines weren't the ones causing the
problem, instead of linux.

Now, onto the localhost appearing in your windows.  I believe it's because
that is what is in the registry and don't think you can change it without
editing the registry and renaming/deleting it there then remapping yourself.

Anyway, as the others posted, I bitch about windows stuff on here being it a
linux list, so I will practice what I preach.  As long as your windows
machines are connecting to the samba server and working, then you can talk
to some windows guru's who can help with the name part when your mapped.

Mike