RE: Samba server and Win98 connection problem

there aren't really any settings in the win box that effects the connection
to the samba server other then the username and password used to logon. That
information is handed to the samba server when a connection to a samba
resource is requested. In order for the samba server to allow the
connection, the username and password must match a username and password
listed in the samba password file. I forgot that one line, there is another
line that you can add that tells samba were to locate a password file. this
will give you the ability to manage permissions via the Linux account
permissions. that line is:

		smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

the command smbadduser will allow you to map smb accounts to Linux accounts.
for example, you have a shared location <share> under that location you have
Linux permissions on john, sam, and joe directories to 700, and the owners
of those directories would be john, sam, and joe, respectively. Then when
you add smb users john, sam, and joe, and map them to the Linux users. the
Linux rights are translated to the win boxes, that way when john logs on he
cannot gain access to sam, or joe's, directories.

example:

	smbadduser john:john

it would then ask you for a password which doesn't have to match the Linux
password for that account, but it can without any problems. This password is
the one that john would then use to log onto the windows computer and would
give him access to the samba server according to the rights stipulated by
the Linux john account. it would also set all files created by john to the
owner of john in the samba server.

by setting the guest account you are giving anyone that connects to the
server access to the shares under the username satimis. This line is not
stating that the username of the windows computer must match satimis, thus
there is no security on your server at all.

the reason you are seeing localhost as the server name when the address is
not in the hosts file is because that is the actual computer name of the
server. you need to change the actual computer name. You will then be able
to keep the computer name you want in the hosts file, you will also have to
change the 127.0.0.1(loopback) address to the correct name. you can change
the actual computer name with the 'hostname' command. syntax:

	hostname <name>

This will allow you smb service to start faster when the address information
is in the hosts file.

In terms of the dismounting problem. I can't guess what the problem could be
without any other information. Are you getting an error, does it hang???

FYI the samba server can also be configured to act as a domain controller.
In 7.2 it really only worked with win9x boxes, however they were on the
verge of getting it to work with win2k boxes. I would guess that by now it
is probably working. That way you could configure this server to act as a
security controller for logins as well as hold roaming profiles, home
directories, and run login scripts.

The samba server is a bit complicated, but once you get used to it, it get's
easier. I would recommend picking up a book on samba, or visiting the samba
site for more in-depth information. i.e. samba.org

Good luck!
Greg