Re: Psyche and Turtle Beach Montego II Sound Card

Jonathan,

I think I have the same sound card.  If you do the command "lspci" and
it lists an Aureal Semiconductor chip, that is the one.  It is not
supported by Redhat, but Redhat does detect it.  The sound quality out
of the cards was ahead of its time.  It is a good card.

The card is supported by a beta driver at
http://aureal.sourceforge.net.  It is simple to setup by executing these
commands.  The first two log onto the sourceforge site and download the
source code.  The third one compiles and installs the modules.

1. cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.aureal.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal
login

2. cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.aureal.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal co
aureal

3. cd into the aureal directory and do a "make clean" and a "make
install".  The first time you do it, make clean isn't necessary.

4. For RH 8.0, I had to add these lines to my /etc/rc.local.  There is a
binary that is compiled under the old GCC that is starting to cause
problems.  The code isn't available for it.

/sbin/modprobe soundcore
/sbin/insmod -f au8820

My card uses the au8820 module.  You can check your /etc/modules.conf to
ensure that yours uses the same one, versus the au8830.

If you use this driver, everytime you update your kernel, you have to
recompile the driver.

Aureal went out of business, was bought by Creative I believe, who will
not release the specifications for the chip.  The group developing the
driver has tried a couple of times.  At least one of the other Unix
variants (openBSD maybe) has decent drivers.  I am not sure how they got
their specifications.

John