Re: Samba server and Win98 connection problem

Hi Mike,

Sorry, can't work.

Proceed as per advice as follows;

1) First removed the line "192.168.0.2  M40G" from /etc/hosts
2) Rebooted Samba server.  It went through straight forward without held
on "Starting Sendmail" and on "Starting Sm-client
3) On Win98 networking Samba server appeared as "localhost"
4) Edited "hosts.sam" and "lmhosts.sam" as per advice.  Samba server
still appeared as "localhost"  Reboot Win98 could not solve the problem
5) Renamed "hosts.sam" and "lmhosts.sam" as "hosts" and "lmhosts".
Samba server still appeared as "localhost"  Reboot Win98 could not solve
the problem

B.Regards
Stephen Liu

Followings are copy of lmhosts and hosts files

LMHOSTS  File
=============
# This is a sample LMHOSTS file used by the Microsoft Wins Client
(NetBios
# over TCP/IP) stack for Windows98
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to NT computernames
# (NetBIOS) names.  Each entry should be kept on an individual line.
# The IP address should be placed in the first column followed by the
# corresponding computername. The address and the comptername
# should be separated by at least one space or tab. The "#" character
# is generally used to denote the start of a comment (see the exceptions
# below).
#
# This file is compatible with Microsoft LAN Manager 2.x TCP/IP lmhosts
# files and offers the following extensions:
#
#      #PRE
#      #DOM:<domain>
#      #INCLUDE <filename>
#      #BEGIN_ALTERNATE
#      #END_ALTERNATE
#      \0xnn (non-printing character support)
#
# Following any entry in the file with the characters "#PRE" will cause
# the entry to be preloaded into the name cache. By default, entries are
# not preloaded, but are parsed only after dynamic name resolution
fails.
#
# Following an entry with the "#DOM:<domain>" tag will associate the
# entry with the domain specified by <domain>. This affects how the
# browser and logon services behave in TCP/IP environments. To preload
# the host name associated with #DOM entry, it is necessary to also add
# #PRE to the line. The <domain> is always preloaded although it will
not
# be shown when the name cache is viewed.
#
# Specifying "#INCLUDE <filename>" will force the RFC NetBIOS (NBT)
# software to seek the specified <filename> and parse it as if it were
# local. <filename> is generally a UNC-based name, allowing a
# centralized lmhosts file to be maintained on a server.
# It is ALWAYS necessary to provide a mapping for the IP address of the
# server prior to the #INCLUDE. This mapping must use the #PRE
directive.
# In addtion the share "public" in the example below must be in the
# LanManServer list of "NullSessionShares" in order for client machines
# be able to read the lmhosts file successfully. This key is under
#
\machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters\nullsessionshares
# in the registry. Simply add "public" to the list found there.
#
# The #BEGIN_ and #END_ALTERNATE keywords allow multiple #INCLUDE
# statements to be grouped together. Any single successful include
# will cause the group to succeed.
#
# Finally, non-printing characters can be embedded in mappings by
# first surrounding the NetBIOS name in quotations, then using the
# \0xnn notation to specify a hex value for a non-printing character.
#
# The following example illustrates all of these extensions:
#
# 102.54.94.97     rhino         #PRE #DOM:networking  #net group's DC
# 102.54.94.102    "appname  \0x14"                    #special app
server
# 102.54.94.123    popular            #PRE             #source server
# 102.54.94.117    localsrv           #PRE             #needed for the
include
#
# #BEGIN_ALTERNATE
# #INCLUDE \\localsrv\public\lmhosts
# #INCLUDE \\rhino\public\lmhosts
# #END_ALTERNATE
#
# In the above example, the "appname" server contains a special
# character in its name, the "popular" and "localsrv" server names are
# preloaded, and the "rhino" server name is specified so it can be used
# to later #INCLUDE a centrally maintained lmhosts file if the
"localsrv"
# system is unavailable.
#
# Note that the whole file is parsed including comments on each lookup,
# so keeping the number of comments to a minimum will improve
performance.
# Therefore it is not advisable to simply add lmhosts file entries onto
the
# end of this file.

127.0.0.1    	localhost
192.168.0.1    	IWILL
192.168.0.2    	M40G

HOSTS  File
===========
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for
Windows98
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.1    	IWILL.domain.com
192.168.0.2    	M40G.domain.com