Re: Samba server and Win98 connection problem

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your advice.

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 00:29, Daniel Liston wrote:
> You might want to consider switching the localhost.localdomain
> and localhost around on the 127 line of your /etc/hosts file.

Whether you meant switch the position of localhost.localdomain as
follow:

Old  /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.0.1	SCW98
192.168.0.2	M40G

New  /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1	localhost    localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.1	SCW98
192.168.0.2	M40G

> /etc/hosts should define the 127.0.0.1 address with the short
> name of localhost first, and all other aliases to it after.
> Any other IP should be listed with its FULL internet name, then
> any aliases or short names after.  If you do not have a FULL
> name on the IP line first, sendmail can take a very long time
> to start.  You may have to do a lot of tweaking to get sendmail
> running without complaining.

Noted with thanks

> Considering you are not running DNS on your linux or windows
> machines, you should also populate the "hosts" file on the
> windows machine to match the "hosts" file on you linux box.

No.  DNS is not running on Samba server nor on Win98

> In windows 98, you will need to copy the HOSTS.SAM file to hosts
> and then edit hosts.

Could you please provide me more detail, whether starting from
"regedit"?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu