Re: Samba server and Win98 connection problem

You might want to consider switching the localhost.localdomain
and localhost around on the 127 line of your /etc/hosts file.

/etc/hosts should define the 127.0.0.1 address with the short
name of localhost first, and all other aliases to it after.
Any other IP should be listed with its FULL internet name, then
any aliases or short names after.  If you do not have a FULL
name on the IP line first, sendmail can take a very long time
to start.  You may have to do a lot of tweaking to get sendmail
running without complaining.

Considering you are not running DNS on your linux or windows
machines, you should also populate the "hosts" file on the
windows machine to match the "hosts" file on you linux box.
In windows 98, you will need to copy the HOSTS.SAM file to hosts
and then edit hosts.