Re: Skip/Lag Problem

The only way I know to elevate priority above zero is to use renice as root.
The process is elevated in priority, but *does not* belong to root.
Only root can elevate a process's priority above the 0 baseline.

Here's a one-liner that should work:
   renice -15 `ps -eo pid,comm | grep -w xmms | cut -d' ' -f 1`

Example:
   # ps -eo pid,opri,nice,user,comm |grep xmms
   13136  75   0 joe      xmms
   # renice -15 `ps -eo pid,comm | grep -w xmms | cut -d' ' -f 1`
   13136: old priority 0, new priority -15
   # ps -eo pid,opri,nice,user,comm |grep xmms
   13136  60 -15 joe      xmms

The process still owned by joe, not root.  A crude way would be to have
a cron job periodically run to zap the priority of xmms.  This only
affects the processes scheduling and doesn't interupt the process while
running.  Maybe you could script it and use sudo? (I've never used sudo ...).

Hope this helps,
-Bob Arendt