Re: cannot record sound

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 16:02, Stephan André Schmidt wrote:
> Am 2002.10.14 19:46 schrieb(en) Ryan Camick:
> > On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 07:33, Stephan André Schmidt wrote:
> > > now, from using RH 8.0, I cannot record sound anymore. I.e., my little
> > > script `sox -V -c 2 -w -r 44100 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp
> > > /mnt/rip/video/radio/chill1.wav` does produce the file "chill1.wav" in
> > the
> > > spec. dir., but the "loudness" of this file is "zero" which means that
> > > cannot hear anything playing this file. I also tried some tools like
> > > "grecord". It is the same. There is a file recorded but playing it I
> > > cannot hear anything. I looked at the permissions of "/dev/audio*,
> > > /dev/dsp" and so on, but everything seems to be okay. Also ran this
> > little
> > > record script as root with the same (sad) result. I also ran some of
> > the
> > > mixer-progs to see if there is anything wrong but I did not discover
> > any
> > > wrong settings.
> >
> > You sox command works for me here.  Audio is good volume.  Sorry I
> > cannot help.
>
> thanks for your answer. What soundcard are you using? Ah, I forgot. I have
> a pci card with a  "Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc
> CM8738 (rev 16)" on it.

I have a PCI Soundblaster Live! card.  I have looked at the man page for
sox and checked my microphone volume in aumix (it's completely turned
down, and must get turned up for sox to record?).  I cannot find
anything that you could have set wrong.  Everything looks good to me.

When I load aumix and turn up the mic volume, I get feedback out my
speakers.  You could check to see that your mic works this way?

HTH,
Ryan