USB printer keeps disappearing

I'm running Psyche on my system at work, and I am the custodian of our
inkjet printer (an HP DeskJet 812C). I've had it running successfully
off the parallel port for quite some time under limbo and null, but I
need to test it on USB for our file/print server.  plugged it into the
USB port, and it was recognized during boot-up. I set up CUPS and
started printing a test page, which stalled halfway through. The cups
admin page eventually gave a message that the usb port was busy. I tried
switching to LPRng, but nothing worked. I'm not familiar with the way
usb works in Linux, so I rebooted, and the printer was detected and set
up. It will print a few jobs from various apps, but after some seemingly
random interval of time, it will hang on a job, and printer will go
away. After one hang, the printer remained in the hardware browser, but
the entry in usbview had changed from "HP DeskJet 810C/812C" to "usblp".
After clearing the print spool and restarting lpd, even that entry
disappeared and the printer entry vanished from the hardware browser.

Any one see similar issues?

The system is:
K6-2 450
Soltek 56F5 mobo (VIA MVP4(or 3?) chipset)
Integrated Trident Cyberblade video
394Mb SDRAM
Sony 8x4x2 CD-RW
RTL 8139 NIC