Skip/Lag Problem

Just trying to figure out the cause of a small little problem I'm having.

Here are the details:

Running XMMS under KDE under Redhat 8.0

Moving over a list of links in konqueror, or performing a screen capture will
make the system "freeze" for a fraction of a second causing the music to
skip.

I believe the problem is with the X process and might be related to the fact
that it's priority/nice level is -10 but can't be sure.

I never had this problem under Redhat 7.3

System information:
P3 800EB
512MB Ram (321MB Swap set)
ATI AIW Radeon 32MB AGP
SB Live! Value

I have also tried adding the gatos drivers and dri kernel module they have on
their site (gatos) but the problem still stands. X seems to be eating more
processing power then it did under 7.3 and X also appears to be running DRI
properly (or at least the same way and was setup the same way by me as it was
on 7.3)

If anyone could shed some light on what this may be, or better yet what it is
I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nick