Re: metacity window resize

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 14:35, Rene Rask wrote:

> The program is complex as it is. Inconsistent shortcuts would make it a
> living hell to work with.

So be consistent about not using ALT+MB1.  GNOME will soon be the
default desktop on Solaris, and it will probably carry ALT+MB1 with it.
I think it's very likely that this "de facto" standard will continue to
follow GNOME and KDE to other Unices.

For what it's worth;  I think it's important that users be able to
disable the combo.  However, it's more a workaround for application bugs
than something I'd expect for a default.  Unix isn't what it was 10
years ago.  WM's have been using ALT+MB1 for a very long time now, and
it doesn't help users for application designers to continue trying to
use that combo for other things.

> And for what purpose? To be able to move a
> window with alt+mb1?
> Does anybody actually use that anyway.

Yes.  Constanty, along with sloppy focus.

> And why is it there. I can move
> and resize windows by using the borders of the windows. Just like every
> other os.

Care to guess why Emacs has a large set of key combos, rather than the
small set used by "every other editor"?  It's useful.  It makes it easy
for users to get done what they want.

> Yes it works both ways. But I much prefer speed in an application over
> being able to use a shortcut that is only linux related to move windows.
> People working in complex apps know what I mean.

I'm not arguing that programs shouldn't use mouse/keyboard combos.  Just
not that one.  Or any using the Meta key, really... WM's usually bind
all of ALT+MB[123].

> Alt-mb1 and several others are a legacy. I would be please if they were
> removed. It's just a thing from when linux desktops where used by
> programmers which do not use the mouse for anything else that moving
> windows.

I have to disagree.

> Stuff like this is making the "linux is for hackers" come true.
> (And doubly so, if you have to be a programmer to work around it)

That's why I think users should have the option of disabling it.  But,
as I said, I think that applications using that combo should be considered
an application bug.