Re: metacity window resize

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 15:36, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> John Coldrick <jc@axyzfx.com> writes:

> > please...you can't be serious!
>
> No, I'm not saying that. That's why I added the workaround.

	Thank you.

> The simple fact is, the reason it works on Windows is that Windows
> hardcodes the keybindings and all the apps have to live with it, and
> most people are primarily targeting Windows with their apps.  By
> hardcoding things, Windows forces apps to coordinate with Windows.

	Actually, that's not what I was told(feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong here).  I was told that the app has the option, first, to "claim
ownership" over any given key equivs, and allow them to pass to windows
*if they choose*.  I'm in no way eager to adopt anything windows(in fact
I'm here because I don't want windows in our production environment),
but this is a better mechanism IMHO than coming to some sort of
arrangement with each and every platform you port to, necessitating
changes to the user GUI.  There may well be technical issues that forbid
such a thing in an Xwindows environment - I don't know...but bottom
line: working within an app should have interface priority over the task
that allows you to change between apps.  About the only thing the wm
*must* have access to all the time is the ability to switch between
tasks(so you can get out of an app).
	I'm not kidding myself - I don't think it's going to happen on Linux
any day now, or ever, but it seems to me that there are too many users
that are caught up in obsessing over desktop issues to the point where
it obscures the applications.  I don't use linux so I can have a pretty
border around my shell window.  I make more money using an application
than in switching between them.

> Several people have gone off on a huge anti-window-manager rant here,
> or claimed that no coordination can be requested, or the window
> manager should just magically work.

	Well, obviously wm's are necessary!  I use mine each day!  I think we
differ on how obtrusive they should be.  You're not alone - you appear
to have most of the local Linux community behind you.  I think it's a
mistake, IMHO, if Linux is going to be more widely accepted.  Fact is,
the Linux desktop isn't #1(yet), so it can't afford to be cocky about
imposing it's own vision.  All it will receive is resistence from
companies porting their apps.

> But the problem of keybinding conflicts (in general, I'm not getting
> stuck on Alt+mouse in particular) is plainly unfixable without
> coordination.

	Agreed.  Standards are hard to implement.

	Anyway, at the risk of being "the last guy to make a comment", I won't
bother lengthening this thread anymore - it really is offtopic anyway.
I really only posted the last time because I misunderstood you bigtime.
Feel free to take the last shot...:)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
jc@axyzfx.com                                        M5V 1S4
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active.
		-- Leonardo da Vinci