Re: metacity window resize

John Coldrick <jc@axyzfx.com> writes:

> 	I'm sorry - I may be misunderstanding you here - but are you saying
> "there's no standards, so my response is to hardwire it into my wm and
> thus *force* app developers to conform to my standard, regardless of
> what platforms they develop for?"  Tell me I'm misunderstanding,
> please...you can't be serious!

No, I'm not saying that. That's why I added the workaround.

> 	Again please tell me I didn't catch your drift - I can't believe it!
> Do you think developers writing for 5 platforms are going to say "ahh,
> the Linux port - we'll need to check to see what Havoc is using and
> change our interface..."

However I am saying that there will be bugs until app developers and
the platform people do collaborate to agree on who will use which
keys, and I'm saying that due to UNIX/Linux-specific features such as
workspaces and multiple panels, they will need to special-case
collaboration with the UNIX/Linux platform as we will need at least
some bindings not present on Windows.

Now you're probably right they won't do this - and so there will be
unfortunate bugs. Users always get the shaft...

The simple fact is, the reason it works on Windows is that Windows
hardcodes the keybindings and all the apps have to live with it, and
most people are primarily targeting Windows with their apps.  By
hardcoding things, Windows forces apps to coordinate with Windows.

To be 100% correct, we need all keybindings to not conflict by
default. This means coordinating the keybindings. Most users without
an admin to help them won't successfully use a "configure keybindings"
option as a workaround.

Several people have gone off on a huge anti-window-manager rant here,
or claimed that no coordination can be requested, or the window
manager should just magically work.

But the problem of keybinding conflicts (in general, I'm not getting
stuck on Alt+mouse in particular) is plainly unfixable without
coordination.

I think this is _obvious_, as any app can use any key right now, and
any window manager can use any key, and they both _need_ to use some
keys, and so unless you coordinate there will be conflicts. Duh.

Havoc