Re: Newer ATI Radeon, ATI FireGL, and Nvidia GeForce/Quadro hardware support

--- Alexandre Strube <surak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Qua, 2003-10-22 às 00:22, Alex Deucher escreveu:
> > those have not been ported to the mesa 5.x and will not be included
> in
> > xfree86 4.4.  There is some progress being made, but I doubt you
> will
> > see them in a release anytime soon.  If you want to help with the
> > development, the drivers are on a branch in DRI CVS.
>
> Oh, wish I could. It's preety annoying to see that your computer gets
> faster with a oldie voodoo 4 pci than with its own agp 8x savage,
> just
> because of the driver...

One of the things that always gets me about computer journalists and
reviewers and even users to a certain degree is their tendency to blame
developers.  If you read a story about linux in PC Magazine or on
ZDnet, they always say something like "the opensource driver developers
need to get their act together and support more hardware, or support
hardware better or linux will never catch on."  No one ever wants to
blame hardware vendors.  The fact is, there aren't that many developers
working on opensource drivers.  Most do it in their spare time.
Hardware venders employ people full time to develop drivers for
windows.  No wonder the hardware is well supported and generally bug
free.  Beyond even developer time, that fact is, many hardware venders
don't release databooks for their products.  without them developing a
driver is either impossible or 5x harder than it would be with
databooks because the developers have to figure out how the hardware
works from trial and error, then develop a driver on top of that.  It
is also oftentimes the developer that also supports the drivers.
Hardware venders have whole departments that deal with product support.

So, if you want good support in linux, stick with hardware venders that
help out opensource developers.  Developers are more inclined to work
on  projects with receptive venders.  That's why ati hardware is so
well supported.

If you want to use S3/VIA's savage driver, you'll have to use xfree86
4.2 for the time being.  Unfortuntely developers just don't have enough
spare time or lack the hardware to port the driver in a short amount of
time.

> Anyway. I took a look at Tim's page, looking for updates on its
> driver,
> or even hoping that he took the via driver and fixed up himself :-)
> that's not the case, but it indicates a driver for redhat 7.3 and 8.
> Nothing for redhat 9 yet, in fact, it doesn't even compile.

The "via" driver and the savage driver are for different hardware.  the
xfree86 "via" driver is for the CLE266 integrated video hardware from
VIA.  the code for that driver was also released by via for xfree86
4.2.  Alan Cox and several others cleaned up the 2D driver for
inclusion in xfree86 cvs.  Alan also started porting the via 3D code to
mesa 5.x, but never got it finished.  it now resides on a branch in
cvs.
The savage driver that S3/VIA released is also based on Tim's code but
also needs to be ported to mesa 5.x.  it too is in a branch in DRI CVS.

Alex