Re: Newer ATI Radeon, ATI FireGL, and Nvidia GeForce/Quadrohardware support

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Noreddine Allay wrote:

>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:31:27 +0200
>From: Noreddine Allay <Juillet_Dix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Newer ATI Radeon, ATI FireGL,
>     and Nvidia GeForce/Quadrohardware support
>
>Hello,
>
>Do you have already an idea for the driver for an ATI Radeon 9600 TX ?
>When I'm trying to do a startx, I receive the following message
>
>XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.3.0-2)
                                               ^^^^^^^

You are using the stock Red Hat Linux 9 XFree86 release, which
does not support any Radeon 9200/9600/9800 hardware at all, as
that hardware didn't exist prior to the release of Red Hat Linux
9, and so XFree86 4.3.0-2 doesn't know it exists.

My email message that you're replying to, was not discussing Red
Hat Linux 9 XFree86 support, but rather the absolute latest
developmental Red Hat XFree86 release which will be in the next
OS release "Fedora Core 1".  The 9600TX is not yet supported I
don't believe, but I don't have one yet to test with so I can't
say for sure.  If you re-read my entire message, you'll see that
I was requesting people to test this new XFree86 version and if
their Radeon hardware is still not supported, to report the PCI
ID and other relevant details to me.

Reports of unsupported hardware using the 4.3.0-2 release are not
very useful because a lot of work has been done since then to
support a lot more hardware.  I need to know if the newest
drivers are missing support for a given PCI ID.

>I tried to add on the /etc/X11/XF86Config the option
>ChipID "0x4150"
>But it is not compliant

That's because 4.3.0-2 does not even support the 0x4150 chip
either.  ;o)  No Radeon 9200/9600/9800 chip is supported in
4.3.0-2 at all.  You can try forcing the driver to treat it as a
Radeon 9000 or 8500 and it might work, but it might not too.  ;o)

In order to add support for new chips, I need feedback from
people testing the _current_ rawhide XFree86, as that is
ultimately what will be released as erratum for Red Hat Linux 9
in the very near future.

>Do I have to wait for a driver ? Is there a workaround ?

The workaround is fake the PCI ID to one that is supported by
the XFree86 release you're using.  That may or may not work,
because by definition - your chip is unsupported.  The only way
it will actually work, is if the chip works very much the same
as the chip you tell the driver to fake it as.  There are no
guarantees whatsoever that the ChipID directive will result in a
working driver though, as it is just a 100% hack.

Install Fedora Core test3 and upgrade to the latest rawhide rpms,
and provide feedback on wether or not the card works - or
alternatively provide the PCI ID of the card, and I can look it
up in a jiffy.

HTH,
TTYL

--