Re: Newer ATI Radeon, ATI FireGL, and Nvidia GeForce/Quadro hardware support

Em Qua, 2003-10-22 às 13:48, Alex Deucher escreveu:

Hi Alex,

> reviewers and even users to a certain degree is their tendency to blame
> developers.  If you read a story about linux in PC Magazine or on
(...)
> blame hardware vendors.  The fact is, there aren't that many developers
> working on opensource drivers.  Most do it in their spare time.

Sorry if it looked like I'm blaming developers. I am aware of the
difficulties of developing a device driver just reverse-engineering it.
Its not easy doing this even when you have the tech specs and is working
full time on it.

> So, if you want good support in linux, stick with hardware venders that
> help out opensource developers.  Developers are more inclined to work
> on  projects with receptive venders.  That's why ati hardware is so
> well supported.

If I could afford buying ANY video board, I wouldn't have a onboard via
kle266 one ;-)

> If you want to use S3/VIA's savage driver, you'll have to use xfree86
> 4.2 for the time being.  Unfortuntely developers just don't have enough
> spare time or lack the hardware to port the driver in a short amount of
> time.

Is it possible to turn version down? Say in redhat 9, for instance.

> > or even hoping that he took the via driver and fixed up himself :-)
> > that's not the case, but it indicates a driver for redhat 7.3 and 8.
> > Nothing for redhat 9 yet, in fact, it doesn't even compile.

> The "via" driver and the savage driver are for different hardware.  the
> xfree86 "via" driver is for the CLE266 integrated video hardware from
> VIA.  the code for that driver was also released by via for xfree86
> 4.2.  Alan Cox and several others cleaned up the 2D driver for
> inclusion in xfree86 cvs.  Alan also started porting the via 3D code to
> mesa 5.x, but never got it finished.  it now resides on a branch in
> cvs.
> The savage driver that S3/VIA released is also based on Tim's code but
> also needs to be ported to mesa 5.x.  it too is in a branch in DRI CVS.

Well, I don't know which one I must use then. My video board is a
ProSavageDDR, which is very common in entry-level cheap motherboards. It
behaves preety good with Tim's driver, except for the fact it is SOOOO
slow, and is always on 16-bit color depth, no matter what you set it to.

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
BIZ vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group