Re: XFree86-4.3.0-5 released to rawhide

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:47:50PM -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> Hm, I tried that on an Acer Travelmate 230 laptop with Intel
> 845G video.  It has an LCD screen with a native resolution
> of 1024x768.

It looks I am conversing with myself but I will not filing bug
reports after all.  At least not for now. :-)  Various troubles
I run into seem to be quirks of that particular machine.

First it looks like that if there are some changes in a driver
(different binaries or maybe settings; in particular I tried "vesa"
both with XFree86-4.3.0-2 and XFree86-4.3.0-5) then one is loosing a
picture until the whole thing is rebooted.  Sounds like some video
re-initialization is missing or failing, with BIOS eventually
restoring some sanity, but I have no idea what may be really
responsible.  Nothing wrong shows in log files, as far as I can see,
but no picture without a reboot either.  Some situation seem to be
more prone to cause that but I really cannot put my finger on it.

> The trouble is that I can get a screen of that
> size only in an 8 bit depth.

This I tracked to BIOS too.  This graphic chips apparently "steals"
a memory from a system and in "Advanced" BIOS options there is
something with an non-obvious name (IUW?, IUG?) and two
possibilities "1M" and "8M".   The first one is a default and it
really means something between 800 and 900k. With it you will see
for 16 bits:

> (II) I810(0): Not using mode "1024x768" (no mode of this name)
> (II) I810(0): Not using mode "800x600" (no mode of this name)
> (II) I810(0): Increasing the scanline pitch to allow tiling mode
> (640 -> 1024).
> (--) I810(0): Virtual size is 640x480 (pitch 1024)
> (**) I810(0): *Built-in mode "640x480"

With BIOS set to another one the driver grabs all memory it
needs and 1024x768 with DRI works both in 16 and 24 depths.
'glxgears' in 16 bits and with a default 300x300 window reports
around 875 frames per second.  Surprises, surprises ....

But why tuxracer is silent with sound otherwise working so far
I have no idea. :-)

   Michal