Re: A Red Hat user's introduction to Debian

Jean Francois Martinez wrote:

> > I think that it is really cool, spiffy, neato that RH 7.2 installs and
> > pretty much just works. For the last three installs of 7.2 I did, I
> > *needed* to make only a couple of little tweaks to get basic
> > functionality going. This is a good thing.

I work as a research assistant in an atmospheric chemistry research
group in a university. The area of chemistry I am involved in requires
computers to crunch large data sets. Therefore everyone in the group
must know how to use and program computers.

I have been using linux at home for about 5 years now, and prefer it in
large part for the reason Jean gives. I have been the victim of
plug-and-pray too many times, and love the fact that I can get in and
configure/fix things that are broken.

I administer a network of about 15 machines as part of my job. I would
like to use a number of Linux boxes at work. So far all but one of the
machines are windoze boxes, (and that machine is a personal machine that
nobody else needs to go near). This is because the researchers need to
work with them, and they have no desire to wrestle with configuring an
operating system for days, no matter how stable, flexible or cheap it
is. They see Linux as the domain of hackers and sys admins.

If there were more configuration tools to allow easy maintenance/setup
of the os I think they may reconsider their position. I have convinced
them to allow me to run Linux on a new file server we are installing,
but this is only because they don't need to be involved with the server
in any way other than as a client.

Linux is making big ground as a server os, but if it is to ever become
competitive as a desktop envirnonment the system needs to become easier
for the literate non-programmer to administer. This user friendliness
does not have to come at the expense of good documentation. It IS
possible to have a well documented, open and maintainable os and still
provide config tools for those that don't want to delve that deep every
time they want to change a setting.

The more machines running an os the more tools and support there is, the
more users come on board....

Cheers,

Graham Kettlewell
Atmospheric Chemistry Research Group