Re: A Red Hat user's introduction to Debian

On Thu, 2 May 2002 15:59:51 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Schwendt <msrh@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2002-05-02, Kevin Waterson wrote:
>
> :I found this little article in my mail and
> :would like to hear any thoughts?
> :http://debian-br.sourceforge.net/txt/debian_vs_redhat.html
>
> => Last updated on 06/11/1998!
>
> Installing Debian GNU/Linux "Woody" (the "testing" distribution that
> will become 3.0 eventually) left me with a not so usable
> installation which I had to fix in several places to get X and other
> stuff working. Nothing for Linux newbies.

I am getting tired of the asssimilation "easy distribution" with
"distro for newbies".  It has also as a side effect some people
believe that chnaging to a difficult distribution will maek them
as elite.  To begin with difficult distribution provide little or
nothing more when you are an advanced user: they would be better
described as distributions who are crippled for newbies than as
distros for advanced users.   Second: if you are a REAL top notch
person then your time is valuable and should be put to better use
than struggling with printers and X configurations.  One of those
top notch people is a such Linus who is a notorious user of "distros
for beginners".

> The text mode installer
> asks many specific questions about graphics adapter and monitor
> capabilities, that reminded me of old Slackware. Compared with that,
> Red Hat's installer technology is light years ahead.

Holy ghost.   From your description they are behind what RedHat and others
were shipping in late 1994 for configuring X.  Not to mention that on PCI boxes
the installer does not need to ask questions about video card since all the
answers are in /proc/pci.  Not to mention that with EDD the installer can
query the monitor about its capabilities.  And since there are GPL programs
handling all this the only reason for not taking advantage of EDD and
/proc/pci is Not_Invented_Here and arrogance.

					JFM